Wednesday 1 July 2009

boys and girls on bikex4

It is very weird how hot days always fall short of expectations - that is, when you hear that this week is a heatwave & you think "Ah well brilliant" and prepare to practically walk around naked, and... well, it really just isn't that hot. It isn't. It's pretty hot, it's pretty humid, it's sweatybetty, but it isn't sweltering. There are so many adjectives for HOT that are used willy nilly. Boiling being one. If it was 'boiling', water would be steaming. It's just hot, OK? Not as hot as I would like. Boiling is too hot.

So I am watching Saunderino play Animal Crossing. She bloody loves it, especially fishing. Yeah, the fishing is pretty good. I mean, just now, or should I say about 20 minutes ago, she caught a fish called an arapaima. Quite interesting really, I mean - these fish actually exist in real life! Have a look, average size about 120 inches - longest ever found apparently 200 inches (the owl in the museum on Animal Crossing told us this).

Is this fish huge or what? It is a leviathan of a fish, truly in the true true sense of the word leviathan. Please, honestly, look that word up. Leviathan. I think it's the bible or something.
Today I went on a bike ride. I haven't been on a bike ride for years. Not a proper one anyway. I did ride up to the shops about a month ago for ingredients for a cake (Victoria Sponge, naturally). The bag split on the way back, the jam and the castor sugar went literally everywhere on the pavement. Or maybe they didn't; going at such breakneck speed, I only heard them hit the floor, I didn't have time to examine the damage. Who wants to survey damage? Especially when they have done it themselves. Needless to say I was very apologetic to Becky when I rode back like a bird who'd had its wings shot through and then cut off and then replaced with plastic bags. Over apologetic, I would say, and of course angry with myself. I should have been more angry at the bag.
Anyway the bike ride was nice. We rode to West End - does that mean anything to anyone? Not THE west end, but west end woods, near Esher in Surrey...? Well that's where we went. Nice old green with decent houses around it, cricket field, a pavillion, a little war-era tin church, a pond. Then, behind all that, there are some woods. I think that best describes them, woods. Not a forest. It is prime off-road biking area - plenty of hills to go down, loads of winding dirt paths, some good views of the general area as well. Me and Alex -- imagine this, my mouse is very annoying! Touchpad on a laptop I mean. It's working again, sorry. Me&Alex climbed down a very steep hill and climbed up an even steeper one. I was in flipflops so it was even more difficult.
We worked our way back and I stood ankle-deep in the river Mole when we stopped for a three-quarters-of-the-way-home break. It seemed that way considering how much bike riding we actually did today: copious amounts, my friends, copious amounts. Felt like I was sitting on a brick, and centrally, not just on one bumcheek, right in between, so very intense sort of ache. My ached as well. You have to expect these things when cycling though, and I clearly didn't. I skimmed a few stones in the river. Few nice pictures. Little fish (tiddlers I believe is the technical name) swimming around my feet. Stayed still for long enough so that they'd nibble my feet. Bit weird. Rode back home. Water fight with little brothers. Standard. I should be getting ready.
Getting ready for what? exactly.
Well, I'm going to see The Hangover in 15 minutes with a few people. My stance is that you should just take advantage of Orange Wednesdays. Megan should be outside in a bit. But then again we shouldn't really think that time will be kept properly. Look at that fish up the top more - it is just massive. I can't believe it. It is now 10 minutes. 9 even - or is it odd? No no, I'm being silly. I keep thinking that I need some kind of a "sign off" catchphrase/saying/nugget of knowledge/pearl of wisdom. But in reality I don't really think I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment